Monday, May 10, 2010

Makin' Progress Monday ~ a whole big bunch

We had our most productive weekend since moving in. Hubby took the day off on Friday so we started early. Our first task was to get the carpet removed from the dining room and put down some vinyl flooring so we can all eat together at our table. We haven't done that since moving in 6 months ago.

One of the bonuses to actually being able to eat at our table is that the kids table is no longer in the kitchen. No more tripping over it, no more bruises on the shins. Back to the studio it goes to be used for craft projects. Woohoo!
We are thankful that at least they replaced the carpet and it wasn't the green stuff we came across under the railing/bookshelf.

Here is how the flooring looks next to the carpet and kitchen vinyl flooring. It doesn't match, but it's functional.



And here it is in all it's glory! Well prior to the trim going up at least, but that has all been done now. It was free from some friends. Funny story...they won it at the grand opening of a Menards store back in August 2004. Who can use a random chunk of vinyl flooring? Well not many people, it has been hanging in their rafters ever since.


Friday was also when the guys came to install new insulated garage doors. The one on the shop will allow us to have that heated next winter after it's remodel later this spring/summer. It ended up being only about $100 more than we could buy them for ourselves...way worth it to have someone else install them. They look funny with all the brown on the house. I am trying to decide if I should paint all the brown white on the house...or some other color.




And then there was our Mother's Day landscaping project. Well it isn't done, but it is the start of redoing our front, overgrown landscaping. If you will recall what things looked like before. Along the house there is rock under the mulch, about 6-8 inches deep and 18 inches out from the house. We got about 1/2 of it dug out and screened. And then there is some more rock under the plants, so they will all need to be transplanted to the back of the landscaping after we fill in the trench left from removing the rock, remove that rock and move them to their final spots. It'll be a while.




I started digging out grass to make room for a new edge to the landscaping. I am thinking maybe tumbled pavers, but don't know for sure yet.




Another thing I need to figure out is what plants I want to divide and how I want to place them along the front.




Here is the start of the pile of removed rock. We are saving it for now until we figure out if we can use it somewhere. If not, it'll go on Craigslist.


4 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys got a lot done!! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. U hv been busy.. it all looks great Rachel..good for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh taking those rocks out is hard work!! We had to deal with that in a small section. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. going to be following your blog closely... doing some remodeling inside and out of our 1960's era colonial. Found your blog through MGR forums... :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Find More Free Layouts at April Showers